Pages

Sunday, January 9, 2011

THIS IS MY BELOVED SON, WITH WHOM I AM WELL PLEASED

January 9, 2011


D A I L Y G O S P E L

Jesus’ baptism in the Jordan becomes a prototype for baptism not just in the Scriptures but in the experience of the Early Church. When men and women were baptized, they were changed and empowered by the Holy Spirit. This was the normative experience for the Early Church. Why does it not seem to be the same for us today? Let us reflect on this question and ask God to reveal to us more fully the grace and power of the Sacrament of Baptism.

ALLELUIA, ALLELUIA

R: Alleluia

The heavens were opened and the voice of the Father thundered: This is my beloved Son, listen to him.

R: Alleluia

Matthew 3:13-17


13 Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan to be baptized by him. 14 John tried to prevent him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and yet you are coming to me?” 15 Jesus said to him in reply, “Allow it now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he allowed him. 16 After Jesus was baptized, he came up from the water and behold, the heavens were opened for him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming upon him. 17 And a voice came from the heavens, saying, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.”

No comments:

Post a Comment