Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

TAKE UP THE CROSS AND FOLLOW JESUS

February 18, 2011


D A I L Y G O S P E L

As we mentioned in the reflection on the First Reading, humility is a key aspect of the character of a disciple. We cannot hope to follow Jesus unless we are truly humble and willing to place our wills in submission to His. We will come across all sorts of images in the Scriptures that speak to us of this truth — taking up our cross and following Jesus is only one. Let us reflect upon what this might mean for us as individuals and ask God for the grace to make it happen.


ALLELUIA

R: Alleluia, alleluia

I call you my friends, says the Lord, for I have made known to you all that the Father has told me.

R: Alleluia, alleluia


Mark 8:34-9:1


34 Jesus summoned the crowd with his disciples and said to them, “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me. 35 For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and that of the gospel will save it. 36 What profit is there for one to gain the whole world and forfeit his life? 37 What could one give in exchange for his life? 38 Whoever is ashamed of me and of my words in this faithless and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels.” 9: 1 He also said to them, “Amen, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see that the kingdom of God has come in power.”



No comments:

Post a Comment